What's new in QuickOPC 2020.3
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Internal version number: 5.59
- Usability improvements
- 1 Technology
- 2 Licensing
- 3 Packaging
- 4 Installation and Uninstallation
- 5 Component Improvements
- 6 Component Refactorings
- 7 User Interface
- 8 Tools and Online Services
- 9 Examples
- 10 Documentation and Help
- Updated to BoxedApp SDK 2020.2.
- Improved the licensing error messages. Besides more precise wording, the typical messages now contain the list of (serial numbers of) licenses that were considered but dropped, together with their "release date covered" field, which is frequently the cause for the license not being recognized.
- Added text to License Manager dialog, explaining that licenses with Active status are not necessarily valid, depending on the particular combination of the component and environment status, and that the capabilities of the component itself should be used to check the license validity.
- Added a new assembly OpcLabs.DotProlog to the product. It is needed whenever you use OpcLabs.BaseLibForms or OpcLabs.EasyOpcForms assemblies, but it does not need to be referenced in your project.
- Modified the NuGet manifest so that under .NET Framework, the packages for .NET Standard are not unnecessarily considered as dependencies.
- Fixed the version in dependency on Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables. The proper dependency is "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019", from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads .
Installation and Uninstallation
- The setup log file now includes product version and build number information.
- Input arguments that are materialized sequences (such as arrays, collections and lists) are now consistently checked for nullness of their elements before a method body is executed. That is, if the developer mistakenly passes in a sequence with a null element into an argument where it is not allowed, a ArgumentNullException exception will always be thrown upon method entry, and with an improved error text indicating the position (index) of the offending element.
- Large OPC-DA requests are now "chunked", i.e. divided into smaller requests and performed sequentially. This is beneficial especially with Subscribe and Unsubscribe requests, because with many OPC servers, it allows the results be served to the client sooner. The behavior (chunk sizes, and whether the chunking will be applied to specific operation types at all) is configurable, and is managed by the new OPC-DA Optimizer plugin.
- Added HasServerTimestamp and HasSourceTimestamp properties to the UADataValue class (and therefore, also to the derived UAAttributeData and UADataSetFieldData classes). These properties determine whether there is a (non-default) server or source timestamp in the data value.
OPC UA Client-Server
- Added TestEndpoint extension method on IEasyUAClient. The method tests whether an operational connection can be established to the specified endpoint of an OPC UA server.
- For consistency, renamed the Uri property in the ResourceDescriptor class to Url (in line with its UrlString property). All derived classes are of course also affected - including ServerDescriptor and UAEndpointDescriptor.
OPC UA PubSub
- Added TestConnection and TestConnectionAsync methods on IEasyUASubscriber. The methods test whether an OPC UA PubSub connection can be successfully established.
- Added TestSubscription and TestSubscriptionAsync methods on IEasyUASubscriber. The methods test whether an OPC UA PubSub subscription can be successfully established.
- Factored out base UADataSetHeader class from the UADataSetData class. The UADataSetHeader can be used e.g. to distinguish dataset data that represent different datasets.
- Added Logicalize method to several PubSub objects (descriptors). The method removes the physical information from the object.
- Added AllowsResolution property to several PubSub objects (descriptors). The property determines whether the object has the necessary information to allow logical resolution..
- Added HasConfigurationVersion and HasTimestamp properties to the UADataSetHeader class.
- Added MajorVersionDateTimeLocal and MinorVersionDateTimeLocal properties to the UAConfigurationVersion class.
- Accompanied each string-typed XXXXUriString or XXXXUrlString property by a corresponding Uri-typed XXXXUri or XXXXUrl property (only in .NET, because the Uri class is not COM-visible).
- Based on UA Specification Errata 1.04, the UAPublisherId class no longer allows zero numeric identifiers, or empty string identifiers.
- Added AddRange method to ElasticVector. Among other uses, it can be used in Xojo to convert a keyed collection to an elastic vector, and index its elements by integers, as a workaround for Xojo inability to enumerate the collections using COM interface method GetEnumerator.
- In COM-visible objects, consistently added SetXXXX methods to accompany each property setter whose argument is System.Object. This allows such properties be set from Visual Basic 6.0 with early binding.
- For COM tools (such as PHP) that do not allow to navigate between COM interfaces of an object, or provide an "amalgamated" set of members from multiple interfaces, when a specific interface is returned by a property or method, added InteropHelper object with the AsObject method. By passing the object through this method, the consuming COM tool is forced to use late binding, allowing the intended members be accessed.
- Added AsXXXXDataType methods to the _DataType COM interface, allowing the data type downcasting for tools like PHP.
- In order to allow passing 'null' to nullable array arguments from VBScript, consistently changed corresponding argument types in COM interfaces from "Type" to "object".
- Moved EnableNativeClient, EnableNetApiClient (and EnableServiceClient, not yet functional) properties EasyDAClient and EasyDAClientConfiguration classes to EasyDASharedParameters class. Besides other advantages, this made them available for configuration in Connectivity Explorer and OpcCmd tools.
- Added "Server Connection Test" command to context menu on OPC UA endpoint nodes in browsing controls and dialogs. The commands attempts to make a connection to the OPC UA server using the selected endpoint, and displays the outcome. This affects user interface displayed by tools (such as in Live Mapping, or in Connection Explorer), and also the interface to the end user, such as through UAHostAndEndpointDialog, or UABrowseControl components.
Windows Forms Controls
- Added general AutomaticValueControl, which provides "control pages" for various objects, based on specified object type, and criteria such as whether the control should be nullable, polymorphic, or read-write.
- Control pages (usable by AutomaticValueControl) made available for following OPC UA PubSub configuration objects: UASubscribeDataSetArguments, UASubscribeDataSetFilter, UADataSetSubscriptionDescriptor, UAPubSubConnectionDescriptor, UASubscriberCommunicationParameters.
- Added specialized controls for several OPC UA PubSub objects: UAVersionTimeControl, UAFieldDataDictionaryControl, UADataSetHeaderControl and UADataSetDataControl.
Tools and Online Services
- Added Advanced tab to OPC-UA Attribute Point Subscribe Parameters editor. Allows the user to view and modify advanced monitoring parameters ("Queue size" and "Discard oldest") and subscription parameters ("Publishing interval" and "Priority").
- Added Edit tab to OPC-UA Attribute Point Read Parameters editor. Allows the user to view and modify the "Maximum age" and "Value only" parameters.
- Added Edit tab to OPC-UA Attribute Point Write Parameters editor. Allows the user to view and modify the "Value type code" and "Value only" parameters.
- Added Edit tab to OPC-DA Item Point Read Parameters editor. Allows the user to view and modify the "Data source", "Value age" and "Value only" parameters.
- Added Edit tab to OPC-DA Item Point Write Parameters editor. Allows the user to view and modify the "Value only" parameter.
- Retested the Xojo examples with Xojo 2019r3.1.
- Added larger number of C# examples, showing e.g. how to browse access paths, browse branches, browse leaves, browse properties, browse servers, read item value with specifying server's CLSID, read multiple items "from device", do many reads repeatedly, perform synchronous OPC read, read multiple item values, unsubscribe all or multiple items, write an item (including timestamp and quality), list OPC categories that the server implements, and more.
- Added C# FormsDocExamples project, with examples for user interface (showing various browsing dialogs for OPC Classic), and added these C# examples to conceptual&reference documentation.
OPC UA Client-Server
- Added pair of examples UAWcfService1 and UAWcfClient1 (C#): A simple Web service using WCF technology. Provides a GetData method to read a value of an OPC UA variable. Accompanied by a console-based client code.
- Added example UAWindowsService1 (C#): A Windows Service that subscribes to variables from the OPC UA sample server, and logs their changes into a file.
- Added C# example that shows how to read value of server's NamespaceArray, and display the namespace URIs in it.
- Added C# example that shows how to write an ever-incrementing value to an OPC UA variable.
- Added C# UAFormsDocExamples project, with examples for user interface (showing various browsing dialogs for OPC UA), and added these C# examples to conceptual&reference documentation.
OPC UA PubSub
- Added Windows Forms demo application for OPC UA PubSub (EasyOpcUAPubSubDemo) in C#. Project source code is available in the Examples solution, and compiled version of the application is installed by the Setup program. The application offers a selection of ready-made settings for various OPC UA PubSub subscription choices, and also offers a rich user interface to specify custom settings. It then allows to subscribe to datasets and display the received data dynamically.
Documentation and Help
- Made clear at multiple places that Product Option licenses (such as Excel Option or StreamInsight Option) require base product license first.
- Improvements in the Best Practices section.
- Documentation for all COM objects now consistently contains "Object Creation" section, with syntax for object creation in following languages or tools: C++, Free Pascal, JScript, Object Pascal (Delphi), Perl, PHP, PowerScript, Python, REALbasic (Xojo), Visual Basic (VB 6.), Visual FoxPro, VBA, VBScript, Xbase++.
- Added explanation of Xojo programming specifics, explaining how to use the ElasticVector for enumeration of keyed collections.